Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What's good about having a common Bible Reading Plan

It is true that it takes about 21 days to make something a habit. Different theories abound. Some say 28 days. Others 40 days. Whatever it is, repetition and perseverance, if we want it bad enough, will help form a habit. Let me add something else: ACCOUNTABILITY.

First of all, there is a need to be convinced this is good. (Motivation)
Secondly, implement a schedule to help you make journalling a habit. (Method)
Thirdly, get someone to ask you how you are doing on a regular basis. This is accountability. (Managing)

1. Motivation - If you have not viewed Pr Wayne Codeiro's video sermon on this, please get hold of the DVD from your Cell Leader. I guarantee you that you will be motivated. It is really about setting aside daily time with God and His Word. We let the Word of God study us

2. Method - We use a journal to pen our daily thoughts. It provides a log of how consistent we are. Writing helps us to be more precise in our thoughts and often when we seem to have difficulty getting something out of the passage, writing helps us process our thoughts further and before we know it, there is a page full of spiritual gems.

3. Managing - Because we are human and therefore tend to become lazy, a human touch from someone else will help in encouraging us to persevere. This is the part I appreciate the most and with the common Bible Reading plan, I find that I am able to have a conversation on the same passage with my wife, children, fellow church staff, cell leaders and my fellow MAG's (Mentoring and Accountability Group) men when we meet. It is so good to be able to be on the same page. If you don't have one, go here: http://public.dumc.com.my/events/BRP-Jan-Mar-09.pdf

I have been journalling consistently now for 3 months. It has become a habit and joy and the best thing that has happened to me recently. I hope you find this a joy as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment