Saturday, April 4, 2009

A great Bible resource Website

Here's a great website for 20 versions of the Bible: www.biblegateway.com
This is very helpful if you want to read a passage in different translation versions or paraphrases of the Bible to help you have a better grasp of what you are reading. Translation versions are done in accordance to the accuracy of the original text while paraphrases are translation of the Bible into more contemporary language. My favourite is The Message Bible, which is a Bible translated into modern contemporary English. You will not use a paraphrased Bible for serious Bible studies but you would use them to help you understand the passage better. Another paraphrased Bible is the Living Bible.

For e.g.

Psalms 23:1-4

King James Version

1. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

New International Version

1. The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3. He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

The Message

1. GOD, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
2. You have bedded me down in lush meadows, you find me quiet pools to drink from.
3. True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.
4. Even when the way goes through Death Valley, I'm not afraid when you walk at my side. Your trusty shepherd's crook makes me feel secure.


There are many good tools too in this site, e.g. Bible dictionaries and Bible commentaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment