Saturday, April 18, 2009

Journalling on Biblical Insights for Parenting

This comes from Wun Meng (KL Zone). Interesting that he is also focussing his journalling subject on parenting. I am sharing this to give you an example how others are doing their journalling.
-------------------------------------------------------

Hi Pr Chris

I have been following the Hungry For God’s Word blog.  I have definitely benefitted and very much encouraged by the materials posted by you.  Thank you very much.

With regards to “Journaling as a personal development tool”, I am extending my journaling into the topic of parenting.  I just started on it and hope to do it once a week, may be increasing the frequency.  Prayerfully I will remain consistent so as to improve myself in the area of parenting.  By the way, by God’s grace, I have been SOAR-ing daily.

I enclose my previous 2 entries on the parenting for your reading.  Next one coming would probably be the 3 chairs principles/the three generations by Rev Nicholas Choo.

Example of a journal entry:

1.        Parenting Insight 1                                                               01 Apr 09

 Freedom of religious expression while young?  The scary result!

 Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772–1834)              

 Coleridge was once involved in discussion with a man who firmly believed that children should not be given formal religious instruction of any kind. They would then be free to choose their own religious faith, he reasoned, when they reached the age of discretion. Coleridge did not disagree, but later invited the man into his somewhat neglected garden.

 "Do you call this a garden?" exclaimed the visitor. "There are nothing but weeds here!"

 "Well, you see," explained Coleridge, "I did not wish to infringe upon the liberty of the garden in any way. I was just giving the garden a chance to express itself and to choose its own production."

 What happens if we simply stand all year and look at our garden? The weeds grow - right up to our knees! And what happens if a young lad is left to grow unattended - without staking, without pruning, without training? He becomes unshapely, unfruitful, and wild. Poor habits grow in us and in our children unless there is active cultivation!

 

 The burden, then, is fairly and squarely on the shoulders of those of us who are parents. Our children's destiny is to a large extent in our hands! 

Prov 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment