Saturday, October 3, 2009

2 Timothy 1 - I know whom I have believed

2 Timothy 1:12-14 (NIV)
That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

It really hit me today during devotion when Paul told his spiritual son Timothy "I know whom I have believed." I almost heard Paul said to me, "DO YOU?" On hindsight, I know it's the Holy Spirit. :)

There is such a certainty of faith and believe in Paul's mind and spirit, or rather a great certainly. (Philippians 3:10-11) "I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."

I find these words in Philippians amazing. There's no hint that he has arrived in the knowledge of Christ. He says he wants more .. and more ... Feel the tentativeness. In other words, he's saying "I don't yet quite know for sure." Yet due to his desperate and immense desire to know His Lord, he can truly say "I know whom I have believed."

"DO YOU?"

Psalms 42 (NIV)
1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.
2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?

No comments:

Post a Comment